11 Nov 2014

DBC2015 Finalists: Who is Stefan Sampietro?

The Dutch Barista Championships 2015 finals. Six baristas will compete against each other, each of them hoping they will be good enough to go on to the World Barista Championships in Seattle.

The pre rounds are just behind us and we have seen some amazing runs. Even more amazing is that we have so many new comers in the finals this year. So who are our finalists? We can read about where they work, what coffee they used and what their signature drink was, but what are their thoughts on coffee and coffee quality in general?

What do they love to drink? Do they brew coffee at home? Where do they still want to go? Read it down below.

Stefan Sampietro

works at: Winebar and Restaurant Pollevie
coffee used: Mahembe from Rwanda
roasted by: himself under the Fuego brand

signature drink: vanilla ice cream with a hint of orange

What is the best coffee you had this year?
Rwanda Mahembe.

Is caffeine caffeine, or do you skip coffee when you know it will probably be bad?
Nooo, no bad coffee for me. I'll order tea.

What is the worst coffee you have ever had?
Senseo...



If people ask you what they should buy for making coffee at home, what advice do you give them?
I always ask what kind of coffee they like and what they are used to. And of course what skills they have. Advice accordingly.

How do you brew coffee at home?
Different methods depending on what I feel like making or drinking. I have everything! Well...almost everything.

If you walk into a coffee bar that you have not been to before and you want to assess the level of quality, what do you look for?
I look if they serve filter (or slow) coffee. Because if they do then they are moving in the right direction.
What would you order?
I would order an espresso, because it is the base for most of their drinks and you can assess if they know how to dial in their grinder.

What is your favourite brew method?
That is a very difficult question. It really depends on my mood. But the chemex and the aeropress are real favourites.

When travelling what do you bring to fill your coffee needs?
Yes, I bring coffee gear. I love to bring something, it's old fashioned fun. Usually I bring a V60.

Where coffee related to you still want to go to?
Brazil, because it is the biggest coffee producer in the world.

So, finally two questions about the DBC 2015 finals. Why do you think you placed? What contributed to your success?
Apparently my flavours were bang on, because that is where I got the best scores. But I still need to work on my technique.

What are you looking forward to the most now you placed for the finals?
I'm looking forward to fine tuning my routine and making it even better.

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Photo by Pim Rinkes
Want to see more photos by Pim? Check the SCAE Nederland Facebook album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...